SJVA Sports Eligibility (I-VI)
The following is an overview of student eligibility to participate in athletics per the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) and SJVA policy rules.
SJVA follows all CIF-SS policies in regards to Enrollment, Transfers and Age Requirements.
- Important Terms
Full Qualifier: SJVA Student-Athlete who meets the grading and attendance requirements and adheres to the discipline & commitment policy. This student-athlete may participate in all practice, sporting events and team activities.
Academic Redshirt: SJVA Student-Athlete who does not meet one of the four sections of eligibility. This student-athlete is required to continue to practice with and maintain full commitment to his/her team but may not compete or travel until they are cleared and made a full qualifier.
Non-Qualifier: SJVA Student-Athlete who is not eligible to practice, play or travel with the team.
- Grading Requirements
*Bi-Weekly Progress Reports, Triad Grades & Semester Grades will determine Student-Athlete eligibility for each two-week period.
*To maintain full eligibility student-athletes must maintain a 2.2 weighted GPA with no D’s or F’s in any class.
- Any student-athlete who does not meet the eligibility requirement at the time end of the triad or semester will automatically be considered an Academic Redshirt for the next two-week period until the first Bi-Weekly Progress Report is released.
- Any student-athlete who fails to meet the eligibility requirement for two consecutive grading periods (Triad/Semester) will automatically be considered an Academic Redshirt for a full grading period (6 weeks), assuming at that time they meet the eligibility requirements.
- Odyssey (HS) Single Class Credit Recovery: Any student-athlete who ends the semester with a D or F in any class is required to complete the odyssey program. Students are required to complete the program at a minimum pace of 15% per week.
- Odyssey (HS) Multiple Class Credit Recovery: Any student-athlete who ends the semester with multiple D’s or F’s is required to complete the odyssey program for each class. Student-athletes enrolled in multiple odyssey classes will be considered a NON-QUALIFIER until they only have a single odyssey class left to complete. At that time, they would then follow the same protocol and policy as the single-class credit recovery listed below (#3).
Bi-Weekly Progress Report:
- Any student-athlete whose grades drop below the academic eligibility requirements after the release of the bi-weekly progress reports will be considered an Academic Redshirt for the next two-week period until the release of the next progress report assuming at that time they meet the eligibility requirements.
- If there is a dispute over a grade at the time of the bi-weekly progress report due to an absence or a grade that has not been entered, the student-athlete may go to his/her teacher (THAT DAY) and get the teacher to initial next to their grade which would indicate that the actual grade is higher than what is currently showing in the grade book. If the student-athlete does not get the grade changed or an initial from the teacher on the day the bi-weekly progress report is released they will be considered an Academic Redshirt for the next two-week period.
- At the time of the bi-weekly progress report if the student-athlete is not at the minimum requirement for Odyssey they will be considered a NON-QUALIFIER until they catch up to the minimum requirement. The student-athlete will not be permitted to attend practice and must attend mandatory Odyssey classes after enrichment each day until they are caught up on all their Odyssey classes. (Example- 4 Weeks into the Odyssey program, the student-athlete will not be made eligible until they are at the 40% completed mark).
D's/F's & Missing Assignments
- If at any time a student-athlete has a D/F in a class they will not be permitted to attend practices or games until that grade is brought up. Athletes should attend enrichment after school in order to bring up their grades.
- If a student-athlete has multiple missing assignments they will not be permitted to attend practices or games until the assignments are turned in. Athletes should attend enrichment after school in order to make up the missing assignments.
III. Attendance Requirements
- SJVA has a goal for attendance of 98%. This correlates to a maximum of 4 days of absence without the completion of independent study. The Athletic Department will track attendance by flagging any student-athletes who have two unexcused absences during each semester. After the third unexcused absence, the Athletic Department will meet with both the parent and student about the absences and review the future impact of additional unexcused absences. The 4th unexcused absence will result in the Athlete being a Non-Qualifier. Future eligibility will be determined by the Athletic Department based on the student attendance records.
- Tardies: 3 tardies in a triad will be the equivalent to 1 absence. Tardies are reset at the start of each new triad. Example: If a student-athlete has 1 absence and 6 tardies in a single triad, that would be equivalent to having 3 absences and result in them being a Non-Qualifier for athletics.
- Daily Period Requirement: In order for a student-athlete to be eligible to compete in a sporting event they must have been present for a minimum of 4 periods on the day of the sporting event. If the Student-Athlete only has 5 periods then they must have been present for a minimum of 3 periods.
- Single Absence: In the event that a student-athlete is absent from school (Excused or Not) on the day of a test or quiz the student-athlete is responsible for making up the missed test or quiz within two school days starting from their first day back to school. If an assignment or homework was due on the day the student-athlete was absent they are responsible to hand in the assignment the day they get back to school.
- Multiple Absences: For every one day the student-athlete is absent they will have two school days to make up any missing test or quizzes, UNLESS the grading period is coming to an end in that case the student-athlete is to follow teacher instructions for making up missing test/quizzes. For every one day, the student-athlete is absent they will have one additional day to hand in any missing assignments UNLESS the grading period is coming to an end in that case the student-athlete is to follow teacher instructions for making up the assignments.
- Discipline Policy
- Behavioral Detentions:
The Athletic Department will mirror the Middle & High School Discipline Policy in regards to dealing with discipline issues regarding behavior. The discipline levels in regards to athletics will be reset at the conclusion of each sports season. Once a student-athlete reaches a level of discipline that leads to them being ineligible to attend field trips or school events that will automatically make them ineligible for sports until their discipline level is reset by the Deans.
First After School Detention (Level 1): Warning from Athletic Department & Coaching Staff
Second After School Detention (Level 2): 1 Game Suspension (Can Travel-Can’t Play)
Third After School Detention (Level 3): 2 Game Suspension (No Travel) – Meeting With AD/Parents/Signed Contract
Fourth After School Detention (Level 4): Removal from Sports Team – Meeting With AD/Principle/Parents
The discipline levels in regards to suspensions & athletics will be reset at the conclusion of each sports season.
First Suspension(Level 2): 1 Game Suspension - (Can Travel-Can’t Play)
Second Suspension (Level 4): Removal from Sports Team - (Meeting With AD/Principle/Parents)
- Commitment Policy
- Once a student-athlete accepts & signs out a uniform for a sports season they are required to maintain their commitment to the team for the full length of the season.
- Any Student-Athlete who stops showing up to team events or decides to quit the team mid-season will be mandated to have an SST Meeting with their parents, the coach, the athletic department and an SJVA Administrator.
- Findings from the SST meeting could lead to the student becoming a Non-Qualifier for the remainder of the school year.
- Pre-Participation Requirement
Prior to participation in interscholastic sport (Before tryouts start), SJVA requires all potential student-athletes to have;
- An Active Physical
- An Electronic Sports packet for the current school year for the specific sport completed.