SJVA Sports Eligibility
The following is an overview of student eligibility to participate in athletics per the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) and SJVA policy rules.
Standard of Eligibility (Enrollment)
- Student athletes must be enrolled full time (minimum 20 units) at the school for which they are competing (Bylaws 201 and 205)
- Students must be on the attendance roll for 15 days or more in classes at SJVA.
- If student athlete participates in a fall sport and participates in tryouts or practice prior to the school year, the student will be considered enrolled if they have registered for, and are enrolled, as a full time student.
- For eligibility purposes, students cannot have dual enrollment in two different schools at the same time.
Transfers (Varsity Sports): A student who has attended another school, played in an athletic contest, and is now fully enrolled and attending SJVA.
- Athletic Director will submit a transfer form to CIF.
- CIF will determine if the student will be eligible to participate in athletics or have a sit out period.
Age requirement (Varsity Sports):
- Students who are 14 and under will have to have a waiver signed by a doctor and parent indicating if they are mature enough to participate in athletics.
- A student, whose 19th birthday is attained prior to June 15, shall not participate or practice on any team in the following year.
- A student, who whose 19th birthday is on or before June 14, is ineligible.
Scholastic Eligibility (MS & Varsity)
- Maintain a 2.2 GPA
- No D’s or F’s
- Grades are based only on the school wide grading period (6 weeks)
- Students who are ineligible due to grades will not be able to participate in athletic contest until they meet the grade requirements on the next school wide grading period.
- If a student is a transfer, there last official grade at their prior school will determine eligibility.
Athletic Sports Clearance Packet (MS & Varsity): Students must have this packet complete prior to the first day of tryouts. The packet includes:
- After school sports/medical treatment/waiver
- Substance abuse policy agreement
- Residential eligibility
- Athletes permission slip
- Code of ethics
- Sports agreement
- Athletic clearance signature
- Athletes with special needs/health history
- Physical exam/clearance forms (signed by doctor)
- Proof of insurance/athletic emergency information
- Concussion information/return to play protocol.